Sydney Championships, WSOP Sydney cancelled as The Star says no poker in 2020

Star Entertainment Group has announced the cancellation of all cash games and tournaments in The Star Sydney poker room for the remainder of 2020, a decision that includes the hugely popular WSOP Sydney.

“Star Poker cash games and tournaments have been cancelled until further notice,” the company said in a statement posted on Star Poker’s social media channels. “We apologise for the inconvenience and thank everyone for understanding.”

A Star Sydney spokesperson confirmed to PokerMedia Australia that WSOP Sydney, originally scheduled for late November, was “effectively on hold indefinitely until the necessary easing of restrictions presents options.” 

The Sydney Championships, which had been due to kick off this week, have now officially been called off.

The decision to cancel all poker for the rest of the year comes as NSW authorities race to quash an outbreak of COVID-19, with the state recording 20 new cases in the past 24 hours. 

The government is desperately trying to avoid a repeat of the situation in Victoria, where a recent flouting of COVID-19 health and safety regulations at a quarantine hotel has resulted in a second wave of the virus sweeping across the state. Victoria reported 275 new cases on Monday after recording a record high of 428 new cases late last week.

The Star Sydney reopened its main gaming floor on 1 July with a series of COVID-19 restrictions in place, including a maximum 5,000 patrons at any one time based on the NSW Government requirement of one person per four square meters of floor space, and all gaming tables and EGMs to have at least 1.5 meters of space between guests.

1 Trackback / Pingback

  1. The Star Sydney now a members-only casino floor | Gaming2day

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*